The Search Bar
This lets you search using any combination of category, keywords and location.
Category - use this if you know the type of results you want to find
by Keywords - type one or more words to describe what you are looking for (e.g. housing)
by Location - use this to find results which serve your location. Try a placename such as Godalming, or postcode (KT1 2DW or CR1) etc.
Typing in a word or a few words into the Keywords box gives you a Search Result of all entries that contain at least one of the words you have entered. You can also use special characters/keys to focus your results more closely.
- The plus sign (+) before a word means that each of the results must contain that word
For example the search +housing +advice will only show you records on the website containing both of the words housing and advice.
- Using inverted commas (" ") around your search words (before and after) will make sure that only results that contain those words as an exact phrase will be included in your Search Results.
For example: a search for friends local offer will include all entries on the website that include the words friends, local and offer. But a search for "friends local offer" will give you results that only include entries where those words appear together in that order.
Using Search Filters
Once you have your search results, you may be able to improve them still further by selecting one or more of the search filters which are displayed in lists to the right of your results.
These filters allow you to limit results by subject area (such as 'Money Matters'), and by user group (such as 'Carers') and so on.
The more use you make of the filters, the more focussed your results will be.
Sorting your Search Results
You can change the sort order of your search results using the options that are shown in the section just above your results. Depending on the type of search that you have done, your results can appear in any of the following sort orders:
- Sorted by relevance (i.e. the best match to your search)
- Sorted alphabetically (i.e. in A-Z order of title with numbers first)
- Sorted by distance (only if you have done a full postcode search)
- Sorted by user rating (i.e. results that have been given the highest rating by other users first)