Working together to get things right in Blackburn with Darwen
We are always looking for different ways to work together with families and the Parent Champion Programme is a new and exciting opportunity to do just that.
What will parent champions do?
Well, the role is still being finalised but it will include helping to:
- promote and improve Blackburn with Darwen’s Local Offer website
- encourage families to take part in engagement activities to make sure family views are heard
- improve support for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) and their families
Who can be a parent champion?
If you’re a parent/carer of a child/young person with SEND and you live in Blackburn with Darwen you can become a parent champion. We’re not looking for experts, just positive people who care.
How will I benefit from being a champion?
- access to training which will include:
- how to use the Local Offer
- making my voice heard
- co-production (how to work in partnership with families and people who provide services)
- personal development/work experience
- building confidence and improving communication skills
- opportunities to meet new people and make friends
- and most importantly knowing you will be helping others
Want to get involved or learn more?
Then please get in touch by contacting Sarah at email@example.com or phone Sarah on (01254) 666511.
You don’t feel the parent champion programme is for you?
Don’t worry there are other ways for you to get involved and keep up-to-date with SEND developments. These include:
- joining Parents in Partnership (Blackburn with Darwen’s local Parent/Carer Forum). PiP can be contacted on 07923252483 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- becoming a member of our Friends of the Local Offer group, by getting in touch with Sarah (details above)
- bringing your child/children to our Children and Young People with SEND Forum and meeting up with other parents, contact Anne Marie at email@example.com, telephone (01254) 666711
- being kept up-to-date with engagement and consultation opportunities by joining Blackburn with Darwen Council’s SEND Participation List. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘yes please, sign me up to the SEND participation list’ or click on the link to the Application Form, download and complete it and send it to the address on the Form.
We will only send you information on important SEND updates and opportunities to be involved in local SEND developments and we won’t share your email address with anyone else.