Skip to main content

How to complain about a school's SEN support

Special Educational Needs (SEN)

There are links to important explanations and information in the External Links box.

When to complain

If you want to complain about a school's SEN Support, you should do it while your child is still registered at the school.

This includes complaints that the school has not provided the support set out in your child's Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan.

How to make a complaint

You will need to know what type of school your child is attending.

Follow these three steps in order.

Only proceed to the next step if the problem has not been sorted out.

1. Explain your concerns to your child's class teacher and school's special  educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO)

2. Follow the relevant school's complaints procedure - the one for the school your child attends.

            Each school has its own complaints procedure.

   You can get a copy of this procedure from the school's website and from the  school office.



Complain to your local authority - if your child attends a maintained school


Complain to the Education and Skills Funding Agency (via the link below.) - if both the following apply:

  • the school is an academy or a free school and ...
  • your complaint is not about a decision about whether or not to isuue an EHC plan

There is a different process if you disagree about a decision your local authority has made about an EHC plan.  Please follow the link in the External Links box.