Skip to main content

Are you new to SEND (special educational needs and disabilities)?

Friends of the Local Offer

Perhaps you have just been told that your child needs a bit of extra help at school?

Or, maybe you‘re concerned that your child isn’t making progress at school in the same way as others in their class?

We set out here some frequently asked questions and explain where you can find more information:

  • to help you understand what ‘extra help’ means
  • to help you make decisions, working with your child’s school
  • to introduce you to friendly local parent support groups

You can also print off a copy of this information by following the link in the Downloads box.

Who gets extra help?

Lots of children and young people need a little bit of extra help to make sure that they are making enough progress in their work at school.

About 5,000 children and young people across Blackburn and Darwen need something extra or different from what the majority of children their age receive at school. These children are recorded on the ‘SEND Register’.

Often, this extra help is only needed for a short time, but sometimes it may need to continue for several years. 

Who decides who gets extra help?

If a parent, teacher or a child thinks that some extra help is needed, staff at school will discuss with the child / young person and their family:

  • Why extra help is needed
  • What that extra help will look like

This extra help is called SEND Support.

What does SEND Support look like?

Your child’s class teacher and the Special Educational Needs & Disability Co-ordinator (SENCO) will arrange the extra help to focus on any specific areas of difficulty and to fit in with the class timetable.

  • A member of staff may set some slightly different work/activities to be done in class or outside the classroom.
  • This work may be with a small group of other children or directly with one adult.
  • The staff in school may change the way they teach your child to help them make progress.

More information

If you would like to find more information about what help is available and how to help your child, take a look at around this website.

The website sets out the range of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities services available in the local area and provides information to support children and young people with SEND and their families.

We do this to …

  • help children, young people and their families know what’s available,
  • so that they can be involved and make decisions about the support they need.

The Local Offer includes a list of services, information, advice and guidance:

  • Education
  • Health
  • Social Care
  • Things to do
  • Preparing for Adulthood
  • Support and Mediation

The Local Offer is regularly reviewed with children, young people, parents and carers.

You too can have your say on how the Local Offer can be improved by emailing us: .

Someone else to talk to

We have two parent support groups who work closely with the Local Offer.  All members are experienced parents of children and young people with either a special educational need or disability.

Please feel free to contact them; in every case contacting them if free and confidential.

Find them on their Local Offer page or on Facebook:

  • Blackburn with Darwen Parent Champions
  • Blackburn with Darwen Parents in Partnership (BwDPiP)
Blackburn with Darwen Parent Champions