Skip to main content

Short breaks for carers of disabled children

This is non-statutory advice from the Department for Education. It has been produced to help local authorities understand how to fulfil their duties under the Children Act 1989 and the Breaks for Carers of Disabled Children Regulations 2011. In this document, these Regulations are referred to as “the Short Breaks Regulations”.

To view the document please click here or select the link to your right.

You may also wish to follow the link to Blackburn with Darwen's Short Break Statement 2017-2018 which includes details of who to contact, an explanation of what is involved with an application and the process to be followed.

A search for 'Short Breaks' will display a list of information pages and a list of some of the services you can access within Blackburn and Darwen.

If you would like to apply for a short break, please contact ...

Children’s Social Care (children aged from birth to 18 years) by telephoning the Referral Information Co-ordinators on (01254) 666400

When a young person is aged 18 or over, please contact the Customer Liaison Team on (01254) 587547

Alternately, you can email  or call Duty Staff on (01254) 503773

Back to top