SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) Support Service– Complex Needs
The Complex Needs Team works with staff in schools/settings to provide the best education possible for Children and Young People with complex needs.
These children and young people may be described as having several identified special educational needs and/or disabilities.
They require a focussed ‘small step’ approach to the curriculum to address their specific needs and to keep them as included as possible in school life.
The team provides:
- specialist assessment using a combination of informal /formal/observational assessments in a variety of contexts
- advice regarding the successful inclusion of children and young people with complex needs
- strategies and resources to improve levels of attainment and progress, to aid target setting and to develop programmes of work
- assessment and training in the use of simple and complex technology which can help children and young people in their learning
- specialist training for schools and settings
We seek help from schools and settings to make us aware of any adaptations that may be needed to access the service.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Robert Robinson
- Contact Position
- Manager, Special Educational Needs and Disability Support Service
- 01254 666 520
- Parent Organisation
- SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability) Support Service
Where to go
The service is part of the SEN and Disability Support Service and covers all schools and settings in Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
- Referral required
- Referral Details
A representative from your child’s school, usually the Special Needs Coordinator (SENCO), will request involvement from the Complex Needs Team when they require additional support to meet your child’s needs.
Schools/settings are able to contact the service by telephone or email if they have a concern about meeting the needs of your child. A member of the team will then make an appointment to visit the school/setting to discuss these concerns and arrange a plan of action to address them.
Involvement from the complex needs team may be:
- part of a graduated response in school to your child’s needs
- an outcome from an annual review of your child’s provision
- Other notes
The Complex Needs Team is available to support schools, settings and the local authority meet the duties placed upon them by Government legislation for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.
The team currently works across the age range 6-19 years, although the majority of the work tends to be focussed in the primary phase of education.
This is a service for schools and settings within Blackburn with Darwen, you should contact your child’s school or setting to use the service.
The team is funded as part of monies identified for children and young people with High Needs and is free to schools/settings within Blackburn with Darwen Borough. However, independent schools/settings and those out of borough will be charged for this service.
Schools/settings are given written strategies and a record of involvement for work undertaken. Schools/settings are asked for verbal and written feedback on an ongoing basis and a formal evaluation of the service is requested annually. At this point schools/settings are asked to comment on their satisfaction with the service; how it has met their needs; how it has met the child/young person’s needs and if the service can be improved.
- Contact Name
- Karen Allison
- Contact Telephone
- 01254 666527
- Contact Email
- Local Offer Age Bands
- Needs Level
- SEN Provision Type