The Special Educational Needs Statutory Assessment Team 

BwDlogo Local Offer

The Statutory Assessment Team at Blackburn with Darwen Council  deals with requests for statutory assessments  for children and young people  aged 0-25 received from schools, parents/carers and other outside agencies. 

The Statutory Assessment Team also:

• manages and co-ordinates the SEN statutory assessment procedures  by working with Health and Children’s Social Care. This includes the conversion of IPRAs, where necessary, to Education Health and Care (EHC) Plans 
• produces and maintains  a single plan for a child/young person's education, health and care needs (an EHC plan) to meet their severe and complex needs
• co-ordinates the school placement of children with EHC plans and IPRAs;
• monitors and supports Annual Review Meetings for children with EHC plans and IPRAs and monitors the child or young person's progress towards their agreed outcomes
• provides advice to schools, parents/carers and other professionals about statutory assessment and EHC processes
• represents the local authority (LA) at Disagreement Resolution meetings, mediations and SEN and Disability Tribunal hearings
• chairs and services the EHC Panel, which determines requests for statutory assessment and decides the level of additional funding to be allocated to individual pupils with a new EHC plan

Who to contact

Contact Name
Sue Cheetham
Contact Position
Senior SEN Caseworker
Tel: 01254 666739 Tel: 01254 666739

Where to go

Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
Ground Floor,
10 Duke Street,


View BB2 1DH on a map


Referral required
Referral Details

If you think your child may have special educational needs, you should first of all contact your child’s educational setting to discuss your concerns. The staff will work with you to understand your child’s needs and will write a support plan if they feel your child needs extra support.

Most children and young people with special educational needs can access help in school/setting without the need for an EHC Plan. This is called SEN support.

Through SEN support school/setting use the additional resources they have been given to help children achieve the outcomes or learning objectives that have been set for them.

You can find out more about the special educational provision that is made for your child at their school/setting by searching for their entry on this site. You can also read about what the Local Authority expects your child's school/setting to do for children and young people by searching 'reasonable expectations' in the key word search on this site.

Some children/young people have more severe and complex needs and do not make enough progress, even after getting all the extra help which is usually available at their school/setting.

These children/young people may require more intensive and specialist help. After talking with you, schools/settings may ask the local authority to carry out an EHC needs assessment.

A young person over the age of 16 but under the age of 25 can ask for an assessment for themselves. Parents and other people involved with the child can also request an EHC needs assessment, but if you have any concerns about your child’s progress it is always a good idea to talk to the school or setting first.

If the local authority does complete an EHC assessment they then  decide whether to issue an EHC plan or whether your child’s needs can be met from within the school’s/setting’s existing resources at a level called SEN Support.

If your child already has an EHC Plan or an IPRA and you wish to discuss matters relating to this, then please ring or email us.


Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
0-5 years
5-11 years
11-16 years
16-19 years
19-25 years
Parents & carers
Needs Level
SEN Provision Type


Save to shortlist
Is this information correct?

Last Updated

Last updated:

List your service/activity