Skip to main content

St Mary and St Joseph's RC Primary School


St Mary and St Joseph's RC Primary School is a caring and inclusive school  which values the ability and achievements of all its pupils. We are committed to making the curriculum accessible  to all pupils through high quality teaching which meets the needs of all pupils through the use of varied pedagogical approaches. Staff value all pupils equally  and support all pupils to be fully included in all activities. Within the school staff will be involved in the best ways to support all pupils' needs. There is a flexible approach to learning styles and organisation  in every classroom to best support all pupils' needs. Pupils with SEND will be able to engage in a variety of classroom activities with pupils who do not have SEND both in curricular and non-curricular sessions. Activities may be adapted or planned separately as deemed appropriate.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Andrea Thomson
Contact Position
Head Teacher
01254 698301
St Mary and St Joseph's RC Primary School

Where to go

St Mary and St Joseph's RC Primary School
St. Mary & St. Joseph Rc Primary School
Bennington Street
This service is part of the Local Offer

Local Offer


St Mary and St Joseph's is on 3 levels, each level operating a lift which makes each level accessible. However there is a handrail to assist getting down the two steps into the hall and a handrail to assist getting up the 4 steps to Classes 2 and 3. We have a disabled toilet upstairs and downstairs.

Local Offer Age Bands
5-11 years
What specialist services and expertise are available at, or accessed by, the school/setting?

SEND Support Service

Speech and Language Therapy - Children's Integrated Therapies and Nursing Service


School Nurse

Educational Psychologist


Children's Social Care

Transforming Lives Panel

What training and experience have the staff supporting children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities had, or are having?

Physical Disabilities

Safer Handling ASD

ASD courses and training completed Down's Syndrome

Supporting children with DS in a mainstream setting Clicker 6 training

ADHD Training 

How do you know if my child/young person needs extra help?

We monitor the progress of all children in school and hold termly pupil progress meetings with each teacher. When children aren't meeting their targets or making expected progress the SENDCo will carry out assessments to identify any weaknesses. Parent's will be informed and their permission sought if an Advisory Teacher needs to become involved.

What should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?

In the first instance speak to your child's class teacher about any concerns you may have. If the concerns continue then a meeting with the SENCo will be arranged.

How will staff support my child/young person?

At St Mary and St Joseph's each class teacher will adapt the curriculum to the needs of each child and each class has a Teaching Assistant to assist the teacher in delivering this. They work with a small group of children who need that extra adult help . If it is necessary to put interventions in place then the children involved will have an IEP which will show their individual targets and what support will be put into place to achieve them.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?

The curriculum is adapted to the needs of the children so that they are accessing it but at their level. Teaching Assistants in class are available to help deliver it to the children who need it.

How will teaching approaches be modified to support my child/young person?

Teaching assistants will help the children who need extra input and an adapted curriculum and in some cases teach outside the classroom at their level.

How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing?

Targets are set for each individual child each term and are sent home to inform parents. Parent's Evenings are held twice a year with an option to meet with the class teacher after the reports have gone out. Each child on the SEN register has an IEP which are discussed with parents at Parent Evenings. Pupil progress meetings take place termly and if targets aren't being met strategies will be put into place to help the child.

How will you help me to support my child/young person's learning?

Each child on the SEND register will have an IEP and these are shared at Parent's Evenings If there are any concerns parents can meet with the class teacher and the SENDCo to discuss them. We hold parent workshops for Phonics, Reading and Maths. Each class holds a 'Meet the Teacher' at the start of the year.

What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall wellbeing?

We have worry box where children can post their worries and these are picked up and dealt with sensitively by the Pupil Support Mentor. She also holds a 'Drop In' session one lunchtime a week for children to come and have a chat. A nurture group runs twice a week for those children that are in need of it. We have a school council, an eco council and a sports council where the views of the children are sought and shared.

What activities will be available for my child/young person?

Before school/ after school and lunch time clubs are available to all children. All children are included on school trips.

How will you prepare and support my child/young person during transitions?

Our Staff in the Reception class visit each child at home before they start school. Any children with SEN will have transition review meetings from their Nursery which the SENDCo will attend. 

Transition occurs between classes at the end of each school year. These transitions are carefully planned with visits and photographs of new teachers and their surroundings. Transitions to High School will have been planned in the Annual Review meeting in Year 5 which is attended by staff from the High School as well as parents and other professionals.                 

How are resources and equipment allocated and matched to my child's/young person's needs?

The SEN budget is used for any specific SEN equipment and resources for individual children.

How are decisions made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?

Pupil progress meetings determine which children need specific help. The help available to us at school is initially a teaching assistant in class and in-house strategies. If further professional help is needed we can access the Educational Psychologist and the SEND Support Service with the permission of parents. Advice is followed from the Educational Psychologist and Advisory Teachers as to what interventions and strategies will be needed for each SEND child. In house strategies are matched to children's needs who are not reaching their targets but it has not been necessary to refer them to the SEND Support Service.