Roman Road Library - Blackburn with Darwen Library and Information Service
Blackburn with Darwen Library and Information Service provides a wide range of books, information and other resources to support learning and leisure for all ages.
There are five libraries which are DDA-compliant.
• Blackburn Library - Town Hall St, Blackburn, BB2 1AG (Tel: 01254 661221)
• Darwen - Knott St, Darwen, BB3 3BU (Tel: 01254 706021)
• Cherry Tree / Livesey - Cherry Tree Lane, Blackburn, BB2 5NX (Tel: 01254 209442)
• Mill Hill – New Chapel St, Blackburn, BB2 4DT (Tel: 01254 266380)
• Roman Road - Off Fishmoor Drive, Blackburn, BB2 3UY (Tel:01254 682347)
Please see individual library entries for branch opening times.
There is an ‘At Home’ library service, for adults with mobility problems who are unable to visit a library and have no-one who can call in on their behalf (Tel: 01254 661221).
There is a virtual library with free eBooks, eAudio and eMagazines for loan which may be accessed by library members from home via our website at www.blackburn.gov.uk, or via the free BorrowBox or RBDigital apps.
We welcome everyone to our libraries and offer help and support where we can.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Mr Andrew Orr
- Contact Position
- Literacy Development
- 01254 661221
Where to go
- Roman Road Library
- BB2 3UY
Revised Opening Hours
Tuesday 9am-12noon & 2pm-5pm
Libraries are welcoming and accessible spaces. Free parking is available close to all buildings with lots of disabled parking at Blackburn Library, on Northgate. The libraries are wheelchair–friendly and there are toilets on all sites, with disabled facilities at Blackburn, Darwen and Mill Hill. Blackburn Library is equipped with a loop system in some of its meeting rooms.
Library enrolment is free of charge. Borrowing books, whether in print or in electronic/audio format, is also free. Some members are exempt from charges for the late return of books, for the loss of a ticket or for placing reservations (that is asking us to obtain a particular book from another library):
• Borrowers under 16yrs
• Long term sick or disabled borrowers (including autism)
• Borrowers in receipt of the ‘At Home’ reader service
• Borrowers with learning disabilities, dyslexia, registered blind or partially sighted
(NB Appropriate documentation is checked when special categories are applied to adult members)
We offer free use of computers on all sites, with access to Microsoft Office packages, the Internet and e-mail. High visibility keyboards are available on request.
Blackburn and Darwen libraries provide some additional in-library equipment for the sensory impaired:
• Clearview spectrum colour CCTVs are available enabling text magnification and with the facility to change the print and screen background colours
• Magnifying sheets and bookmarks on sale
Resources we Offer
- Books for all age groups and abilities: fiction and non-fiction.
- Large print items for adults and children
- Special collections such as Quick Reads (less confident adult readers), Barrington Stokes publications (dyslexia-friendly), and Reading Well: Books on Prescription providing self-help information on selected medical conditions
- eBooks, eAudio books and eMagazines are available on-line for free transfer to personal computers, tablets and e-readers (excluding Kindles)
- Audio books on CD for adults and children
- DVDs for hire
- Newspapers for use in-library
- On-line software packages e.g. Life IN Britain (a citizenship training package) / Theory Test pro (the driving test theory test training package)
- Family history resources including the Ancestry on-line database
- Information about what’s happening nationally, regionally and locally. The public access computers provide current data and augment each library’s book stock collection and the community leaflets and posters which are displayed
- Access to printers, scanners and photocopiers at all libraries
- Access to laminators and fax machine at Blackburn
We offer an all-year-round events programme including:
- For children
- Rhyme and storytimes
- Reading games
- Holiday workshops
2. For adults
Basic IT courses (Using Google Docs)
- Author visits
Come and Join Us
Membership is free. You can apply on-line or in person at any of the libraries. Most people then come and collect their card/membership number, but if you can't, please give us a call and we will try to help. Some events are free, but others carry an admission charge. Age restrictions sometimes apply, but children and young people may be supported by their carer, if required.
Up-to-date details of ‘What’s On’ are listed in the library newsletter which is posted on our website. Details are also promoted on Facebook: www.facebook.com/BlackburnwithDarwenlibraries and Twitter http://twitter.com/BwDlibraries
We welcome everyone to our libraries and offer help and support where we can. We look forward to meeting you.
- Contact Name
- Mr Andrew Orr
- Contact Telephone
- 01254 661221
- Contact Email
- Local Offer Age Bands
Parents & carers