SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities) Support Service - Specific Learning Differences (SpLD) - Literacy and Numeracy
Our team is part of the SEND Support Service and works with staff in schools to provide the best possible education for pupils with Specific learning Differences (SpLD).
If your child has this type of learning need ...
- they may be described as ... having a significant difficulty learning the basic skills involved in reading, writing and spelling.
- They may have poor memory for some things such as the days of the week, the months of the year, the order of the alphabet.
- As well as experiencing difficulty with literacy some dyslexic students also experience difficulty with some maths skills in particular with multiplication.
Our team provides a service to schools that includes:
- training and advice to staff usually the Special Needs Coordinator (SENCO) in the use and understanding of assessments to identify dyslexic type learning needs
- training and advice to all staff regarding successful inclusion
- advice to all staff about the best ways of teaching and new resources to help improve attainment and progress for children and young people with Dyslexic type learning needs
- help to set individual targets and to develop programmes of work
- training in the use of computer software that can help your child’s learning with regard to developing reading, writing and memory skills
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Robert Robinson
- Contact Position
- Manager, Special Educational Needs and Disability Support Service
- 01254 666 520
- Parent Organisation
- SEND (Special Educational Needs and Disability) Support Service
Where to go
Our team is part of the SEND Support Service and covers all schools in Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
- Referral required
- Referral Details
If you and or staff in school have a concern about the progress your child is making or knowing what steps to take next a representative from your child’s school, usually the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) will request involvement from the SpLD Team. A school may decide to request our support as part of their general approach to meeting additional needs or as a result of a discussion at a review meeting.
In either case the school will always discuss this with you first and will ask you to complete a consent form.
Once a request has been received from your child’s school our advisory teacher will make an appointment to visit the school, discuss these concerns and arrange a plan of support for the staff in school.
- Other notes
This is a service for schools within Blackburn with Darwen.
The team is funded as part of Local Authority funding for children and young people with High Needs Special Educational Needs and is free to schools within Blackburn with Darwen Borough.
Schools are given a written report and a record of involvement for work we undertake in school and Schools are asked for written feedback on our work. A formal evaluation of the service is requested annually when we ask schools to comment on their satisfaction with the whole of SEND Support Service; how it has met the school's needs, their pupil’s needs and how the service can be improved.
- Local Offer Age Bands
Parents & carers
- Needs Level
- SEN Provision Type