CANW's BwD Young Carers Service
**Please note that due to lockdown restrictions now being lifted, most support is returning to face to face support, wherever possible. Please contact us for further information.**
CANW’s BwD Young Carers service provides help and support to young people aged 5 onwards who are carrying the care burden at home. They may be looking after parents or siblings, helping them cope with illness, mental health issues, or even substance abuse problems.
We make sure that the child is looked after from all angles – that they can cope at home, that they can cope at school, that they feel supported. We are their advocate, their defender, their comfort. We are their voice when they need it. We give them 1 to 1 support, access to a network of other carers so they know they are not alone and give them someone they can talk to. We give them hope. Our team forms a bridge between school and home and works towards coming up with ways of supporting the young person by providing:
- Young Carers Assessment of Needs;
- 'Group night' sessions to allow a break/respite from the home situation;
- Peer support through the group sessions;
- Support for 'Superstar' Infant Young Carers aged 5-7 years;
- Support for 'main group' Young Carers aged 8-15 years;
- Support for 'Young Adult Carers' aged 16+;
- 1:1 sessions with Young Carer to explore needs, wishes and feelings;
- Looking at ways of reducing Young Carers' caring role;
- Signposting family members to appropriate services where applicable;
- Introducing Universal Services to the Young Carer in order to explore other opportunities;
- Opportunity to participate at local and strategic level;
- Advocacy on behalf of the Young Carer;
- Peer Mentors for extra support;
- Young Carers online community;
- Self-esteem and confidence workshops and other training opportunities;
- Weekend respite breaks subject to funding;
Who to contact
Where to go
- Child Action Northwest
273, Preston New Rd
- BB2 6PL
- Referral required
- Referral Details
'Carers Referral & Registration Form' to be completetd. Contact Young Carers Project on 01254 692709 (Option 2) or the Carers Service on 01254 688440 to request a referral form.
- Other notes
Our aim is to look at how best to support the Young Carer in their caring role. We would signpost where possible and we would work closely with other services including Adult Services, Early Years, etc to ensure that the family is supported accordingly.
We aim to advocate on the Young Carer's behalf also, and we liaise with schools/colleges to ensure that the Young Carer is supported in their education setting.
- Local Offer Age Bands
Parents & carers