New Directions Careers Service - Blackburn
COVID-19 - During COVID-19 the team are working from home but can still offer information, advice and guidance over the telephone. Just call the team on 01254 666424.
Rest assured once lockdown ends, we will be back delivering face to face sessions, however this is on an APPOINTMENT ONLY basis.
New Directions provides independent and impartial careers information, advice and guidance to young people in Blackburn and Darwen.
We support 16-19 year olds (and up to 25 for SEND young people) to access education, employment or training through a drop-in service (no appointment necessary).
We help young people by:
- Providing information, advice & guidance on courses, qualifications & careers
- Help young people find and apply for jobs and training
- Signpost to other partners/agencies for support around personal issues
Who to contact
Where to go
- Various Children's Centres throughout Blackburn and Darwen
- BB2 1DH
- Monday 1-4pm: Audley and Queens Parks Children’s Centre,, Pringle Street, Blackburn, BB1 1SF
- Tuesday 1-4 pm: Little Harwood Children’s Centre, Robinson Street, Blackburn, BB1 5PE
- Wednesday 1-4 pm: Livesey Children's and All Age Centre, Andrew Street, Blackburn, BB2 4NU
- Wednesday 1-4pm: Shadsworth children's centre, Shadsworth Road, Blackburn, BB1 2HR
- Thursday 1-4pm: Higher Croft Children’s Centre, Fishmoor Drive, Blackburn, BB2 3UY
- Thursday 1-4pm: Darwen Town Hall, Croft Street, Darwen, BB3 1BQ
- Friday-10-12am: Wensley Fold Children's Centre, Carnarvon Road, Blackburn, BB2 6NL
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Monday - Thursday 1pm-4pm (Blackburn -various locations) Thursday 1pm-4pm (Darwen) Friday 10am-12noon
- Time of day
- Session Information
Drop in service or appointments are available
Friday sessions take place in the morning: 10 am to 12 noon
- There is no cost for this service
- Age Ranges
- 14-25 years
- Referral required
- Referral Details
You can either drop in or make an appointment by calling 01254 666424 and speak to one of the team. Please note during COVID-19 we do not accept drop in's
Supporting Young People aged 16 to 25
Our core aim is to ensure young people with special educational needs or disabilities are participating in learning or training after the age of 16.
We provide support directly to young people with SEND up to the age of 25: young people with an EHCP or IPRA.
How we Deliver our Service
Working with Schools
- We work closely with SENCOs in all schools within Blackburn with Darwen.
- We meet with students in Year 9 and 11 (Year 14 for Newfield Students) and produce a careers action plan.
- The careers action plan feeds into the SEN annual review and is shared with both parents and the school at the key transition times.
- Further support is available if a young person changes their mind after the review or has a problem settling in or in any way dealing with the transition (move to a new education or training setting).
For those without an EHCP or IPRA, this service is available via a Traded Service to schools. If you do not have an EHCP or an IPRA but you are on the SEND Register at your school, please speak to your careers teacher.
If a school chooses to purchase this service, support can then be provided to those with a lower level of need: young people included on the SEND Register.
Working with Partners
We work closely with many partner agencies to ensure young people can access the support they need to make the transition into employment, education or training.
We regularly update our knowledge of local opportunities and we also keep up-to-date with Social Care Provision for those young people who can't yet access education or training.
We work closely with the local Parent Form and attend their annual Parents in Partnership Forum.
New Directions provides several careers events throughout the year.
We ensure we invite a wide range of organisations along to these events to make sure that young people with SEND are catered for.
Our annual event at Blackburn Cathedral is a good example of this.
- Contact Name
- New Directions
- Contact Telephone
- 01254 666424
- Contact Email
- Local Offer Age Bands
Parents & carers
- Needs Level
- SEN Provision Type